(Pronounced “Ray – Key”)
- Universal Life-Giving Energy
- Hands-on and Distance healing method
- Reiki is an intelligent healing system
- Heals the Mind, Body and Spirit
- It is not connected to a religion or belief system, but embraces and enhances all such beliefs
- It fills the receiver and healer full of Unconditional Love
- Works on the cause of Illness (rather than just the symptoms)
- Releases Stress
- Balance and clear our energy centres (chakras)
For more info about chakras, where they are and symptoms of imbalance (and more) see this guide
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Reiki is a Japanese form of relaxation. A simple, gentle, energy technique that is used for alleviating stress, pain management, stress reduction and deep relaxation.
Reiki helps the flow of energy around the body, removing blocks, deep relaxation, pain reduction, speed healing, and can reduce other symptoms of illness.
It is administered by “laying on hands” or using a surrogate to perform the same treatment distantly.
A treatment feels like a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and around you. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing.
Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It also works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects and promote recovery.
HOW IS A REIKI TREATMENT GIVEN?
In a standard treatment Reiki energy flows from the practitioner’s hands into the client. The client is usually laying on a massage table but treatments can also be given distantly using a surrogate.
The practitioner places her/his hands on or above the client’s body in a series of hand positions. These positions start at the head and move down the body to the feet.
These positions in a full session are specifically:
- Top of Head
- Back of Head
- Upper Abdomen
- Lower Abdomen
- Pelvic Area
Each position is held for 3 to 5 minutes depending on how much Reiki the client needs at each position. Other, more specific positions may be used based on the client’s needs.
*A full treatment usually lasts between 45 and 60 minutes.
In a chakra clearing session the focus would be:
- Top of Head (Crown)
- Eyes/Forehead (Third Eye)
- Throat (Throat)
- Heart (Heart)
- Upper Abdomen (Solar Plexus)
- Lower Abdomen (Sacral)
- Pelvic Area (Root)
(See also chakra info)
WHAT CAN REIKI TREAT?
Reiki is an intelligent energy that goes to where it is needed working on balancing the mind, body and spirit.
Reiki can also be used for:
- Treatment of Physical symptoms
- Stress relief
- Releasing blocked energy
- Pain relief
- Helps trigger the body’s ability to heal itself
- Raises our vibrations
- Strengthen our Aura
- Rebalances our Chakras
- Greater spiritual awareness
- Energising water, plants, objects
- Healing animals
- Healing emotional problems
- Accelerate healing
- Assist the body in cleansing toxins
- Balance the flow of subtle energy by releasing blockages
- Help the client contact the ‘healer within.’
- Reiki practitioners do not diagnose conditions nor do they prescribe or perform medical treatment, prescribe substances, nor interfere with the treatment of a licensed medical professional.
- It is recommended that you see a licensed physician or licensed health care professional for any physical or psychological ailment you may have.
- Reiki can complement any medical or psychological care by stimulating the body’s ability to heal itself but in no way should be used to replace it.
- It is important to be open to receiving the healing not to have expectations about the outcome of receiving Reiki, healing will take place but will feel and happen differently for each person. Long term imbalances in the body sometimes require multiple sessions in order to facilitate the level of relaxation needed by the body to heal itself.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR A SESSION?
It is advisable to avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol before the session or eating heavy foods (as these put more work on our body resulting in less healing taking place).
On the day make sure that:
- you have a quiet relaxing space
- you will not be disturbed
- you will be comfortable on the place you choose to lay down
- you will be comfortable when you lay down with what you are wearing
- have a warm blanket as your body temperature may drop
- have a glass of water for after the session
- you are open to receiving the healing
- close your eyes and state in your mind “I am open to receive this healing”
- just relax and enjoy the time to completely switch off from daily life
HOW WILL REIKI FEEL?
When receiving Reiki, you may feel a variety of sensations and everyone’s perception is different some don’t feel anything but feel the overall benefit. You will also find that every session is different and may feel different in different areas of the body.
Always be open to Reiki and do not allow yourself to have preconceived ideas. Just close your eyes, switch off, relax and enjoy the calm and stillness, and stay open to receive.
You may feel some of these sensations:
- Spiky sensation
- Flowing Sensation
There may sometimes be a reaction which is known as a healing reaction and is a positive sign and you should go with it…
When a person begins to heal as a whole, it can cause our body to reorganise itself at many levels from within.
You may experience:
- Runny nose
- Increased perspiration
- Increased visits to the toilet
- Deep sleep / difficulty sleeping / vivid dreams
- May suffer a headache
- Some conditions which may have been suppressed (i.e. a cold)
- It is also quite natural for you to sometimes feel weepy
After your treatment it is advisable to:
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Avoid heavy and spicy foods
- Try to return to a relaxing environment after the treatment and keep warm
IF YOU EXPERIENCE A HEALING REACTION PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY AND THAT IT WILL PASS WITH 24-48 HOURS AS THE BODY REBALANCES.
Some example healing reactions:
- Feelings of tiredness Drowsiness and lethargy
- Feelings of well-being / feel more energetic
- Increased urination or bowel movements
- Balancing of menstrual cycle
- Runny nose / Cough
- Some conditions which may have been suppressed (i.e. a cold) may flare up temporarily before they get better.
- It is also quite natural for you to sometimes feel weepy
These are all positive responses and the body’s natural way of flushing out toxins and re-balancing itself.